The Fund for The Pacific Century and D. Suehiro Electric INC. presents the 2020 Senior Class’ “COVID Aware Challenge” brought to you by The Hawaii Tourism Authority, Hawai'i Lodging & Tourism Association, KHON2, Salem Media Group & Honolulu Star Advertiser, through the direction of The Department of Education.
Each public High School senior, will be invited to submit their COVID-19 AWARENESS themed video and upload to KHON2.com to participate in the “COVID AWARE Challenge!” We all realize that young people are deeply affected during these scary and unprecedented times. We also know that kids relate to kids and what a better and fun way to create the correct messaging of “staying safe” during COVID-19 than to empower the graduating seniors and influence the younger students.
KHON2 will remain the official voting platform throughout the challenge. Seniors will be encouraged to create a 30-second video message and upload it to KHON2.com by Friday, May 29. The video submission should incorporate as many senior class participants as possible and each school will also be encouraged to include an intro from the school Principal and/or a school’s administrative leader. Up to 10 video finalists will be selected by a panel (max 1 entry from each school) and will be eligible for the grand prize for their school. In addition, all finalists’ school valedictorian speeches will be highlighted by our radio partner Salem Media Group.
Videos should be high-energy, full of fun, school spirit & pride!
1. Sponsors. This Contest (“Contest”) is sponsored by KHON (“Station”), KHON2, KHII, CW, KHON2.com, KHON2 YouTube, Nexstar Broadcasting Inc, Hawaii Tourism Authority, Hawai'i Lodging & Tourism Association, Fund For The Pacific Century, Salem Media of Hawaii, Inc., its parent company, its parent’s affiliated companies, Honolulu Star Advertiser & D. Suehiro Electric, Inc., and the State of Hawaii Department of Education (collectively, the “Sponsor(s)”). This Contest is void where taxed, restricted, or prohibited and is subject to all local, state, and federal laws. By entering, each entrant accepts and agrees to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of the Sponsor(s), which shall be final and not subject to appeal.
2. Eligibility. No purchase necessary to enter. The Contest is open to legal U.S. citizens who are enrolled in the State of Hawaii DOE Public High School and a member of the senior class of 2020. Anyone under 18 years of age at the time of entry, must have a GENERAL RELEASE form signed by their parent or guardian (downloadable at www.khon2.com/contests ). Form/s must also be uploaded with video submission. Current or former employees of KHON, Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc., the other Sponsors, the other television and radio stations and multichannel video programming distributors in KHON’s viewing area, their parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising or promotional agencies (including anyone who prepares and/or distributes contest materials), and the immediate family members or persons living in the same household (whether related or not) of all the foregoing are not eligible to participate or win. The term “immediate family members” includes spouses, grandparents, parents, siblings, children and grandchildren.
Participants are eligible to win a KHON contest or sweepstakes only once every 120 days. Only one winner per household is permitted in any contest or sweepstakes. Participants are eligible to win a prize valued at $600.00 or more only once every six months.
3. Entry. This Contest will begin on 05/06/2020 at 4:00PM HST and ends on 06/07/2020 at 10:00PM HST. To enter the Contest, entrants must visit www.KHON2.com/contests and submit an entry form, video submission, and General Release form (see #2 above). Entrants must include their school name, video submitter’s name/phone number/email, principal’s name/phone number/email in order to enter. Incomplete entries will not be considered.
All entries must be received by 05/29/2020 at 11:59PM HST. Each public-school student may submit only one video (selection to be uploaded by the student with parent consent if under 18 years of age).
Sponsor(s) is/are not responsible for cable, internet service or telephone outages, delays, equipment malfunctions, errors or data loss of any kind, unavailable connections, or late, failed, incomplete, garbled or deleted entries,transmissions, or other network or technological difficulties that may prevent a school from completing their online entry, online upload or for errors in any advertisement, entry form, or these Official Rules.
Entry materials that have been tampered with or altered are void. Any automated or computer-generated entries, fake or duplicate identities, spam, or improper techniques (as determined by Sponsor(s)) will be disqualified. Any questions regarding the validity, completeness, or number of entries submitted by an individual or the identity of the authorized account holder of an e-mail address, phone number, or social media profile shall be determined by Sponsor(s) in its/their sole discretion. If the Sponsor(s) determine(s), in its/their sole discretion, that there is any suspected or actual tampering with the Contest (electronic or otherwise) or if technical difficulties (e.g. infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of Sponsor(s)) compromise the security, fairness, integrity or administration of the Contest, the Sponsor(s) reserve(s) the right to void the entries at issue and/or modify, suspend, cancel or terminate the Contest and conduct a random drawing to award the prize among all eligible entries received as of the termination date. If the Contest is terminated due to tampering or technical difficulties prior to its expiration date, notice will be posted online at www.KHON2.com. Sponsor(s) reserve(s) the right to disqualify any entrant that tampers with the operation of the Contest or website or violates the Official Rules of the Contest. The Sponsor(s) reserve(s) the right to disqualify any entrant who acts in a disruptive, harassing, vulgar, or unsportsmanlike manner, as determined by the Sponsor(s) in its/their sole discretion. Entries not conforming to these entry specifications will not be acknowledged or returned.
4. Submission TV Specs needed. Each school entry must adhere to the following specs to be qualified as an entry into this contest:
• Total run time: 30 seconds
• Dimensions: 1920 x 1080 or at least 1280 x 720
• Codec: H.264 or Apple Pro Res
• FPS: 29.97 (or whatever it was shot at)
• Audio needs to be no louder than -9dB
• All materials submitted must be owned by the entrant and free of any copyright infringement (including photos, music, etc).
5. Winner Selection & Notification.
Decisions of the Station management with respect to the contest are final. Sponsors reserve the right to reject any entry or applicant deemed, in their sole discretion, to be in violation of any applicable law, or inappropriate, offensive, defamatory, or demeaning to any of the Sponsors’ reputation or goodwill.
For Round One, all entries submitted will be reviewed and judged by a panel of judges from KHON2 and sponsors, based on originality, creativity, and overall impression (all equally weighted). Video submissions should be based on correct messaging of “staying safe” during COVID-19. The judges will choose up to ten finalists to move on to Round Two. Judges in their discretion, may choose less than ten finalists, dependent on amount of entries received. The finalists will be from different schools, and only ONE entry per school will advance to the finals. Finalists moving on to round two will be notified on Sunday, May 31, 2020 by 4:00PM HST via email and/or phone. For
Round Two, all video finalists’ submissions will be posted on KHON2’s website, where the public may view all the finalists’ submissions and vote for their favorite starting Sunday, May 31, 2020 at 7:00PM HST and ending Sunday, June 7, 2020 at 10:00PM HST. One vote per person, per day. The winner with the most votes will be notified Monday, June 8 by 5:00PM HST.
Finalists will be announced in KHON2 6PM & 10PM News on Sunday, May 31, 2020 on KHON & KHII. First Place Winner announced in Wake Up 2day, Take2, Living808, 4PM & 7PM News on Tuesday, June 9, 2020. First Place Winner’s 30-second video will air on KHON, KHII, Hawaii’s CW; Wednesday, June 10 – Sunday, June 21, 2020. All finalists will have their school valedictorian/s speeches posted to KHON2.com in June 2020.
5. Odds of Winning. The odds of winning depend on the number of video entries received.
6. Prize(s). There will be ONE (1) winner in this Contest. The winning school with the greatest number of votes from Round Two will be notified that they won by phone or e-mail. The winning school will receive a check from FUND FOR THE PACIFIC CENTURY for $10,000 USD.
All results are unofficial until winner(s) is/are verified by the Sponsor(s). Cash prize may not be exchanged, substituted, transferred or redeemed for other prizes by winning school. Prizes are awarded ‘as is’ with no guarantees or warranties as to use or future use, or fitness for a specific purpose, and the Sponsor(s) is/are not responsible for any harm or damage caused by use of cash prize.
7. Conditions for Acceptance of the Prize(s). The Fund for the Pacific Century will provide the prize directly to the winning school. The prize will be awarded to the school no later than July 30, 2020. Winner(s) will be required to execute an affidavit of eligibility and publicity and liability release prior to receiving their prize(s). All unclaimed or rejected prizes will be forfeited.
Failure by the winner(s) to respond to the Station or Sponsor’s messages, calls, e-mails or other notifications will lead to forfeiture of the prize(s). Failure to completely fill out and sign all waivers, releases, or forms requested by the Station will result in forfeiture of the prize(s). Upon forfeiture of the prize(s), the Station has the right to award that prize to another winner using the method described above. A winner who forfeits any prize is not eligible to win another contest conducted by the Station for thirty (30) days. If this Contest is open to entrants under the age of 18, a winner is under the age of 18, a parent or legal guardian will be required to execute all releases on behalf of the minor.
Payment of all federal, state and local taxes is the sole responsibility of the winner(s) and the winner(s) may receive an IRS 1099 Form or equivalent from the Sponsor(s). The Sponsor(s) will report any individual winnings over $600 (in cash or fair market value of goods or services) in a one-year period to the Internal Revenue Service. Winner(s) is/are required to fill out any tax forms requested by the Sponsor(s) in order to receive their prize(s).
Unless otherwise stated above, Winner(s) will be solely responsible for any and all license and registration fees, accommodations, transportation costs, gratuities and all other items of an incidental nature. Prize(s) may subject to availability. All expenses on receipt and use of prize(s) are the sole responsibility of the winner(s), the Sponsor(s) is/are not responsible for any weather changes or extenuating circumstances relating to a prize received. The Sponsor(s) is/are not responsible for replacing or reimbursing winners with any form of compensation for events that are delayed or canceled. All delays and cancellations are deemed beyond the control of the Sponsor(s). This includes, but is not limited to, event cancellations, trip schedule changes, flight cancellations, changes in travel arrangements, travel delays of any form and duration, game cancellations and delays, as well as all acts of nature. Sponsor(s) will not be responsible for failure to supply the prize(s) by reason of any force majeure events, such as acts of God, war, terrorist attacks, unusually severe weather, labor strikes, or other causes beyond the control of the Sponsor(s).
By accepting the prize, the winner or winners (or, in the case of a minor, their parent/legal guardian) agree to have their name, voice, likeness, biographical information, and entry materials used in any advertising or broadcasting material relating to this Contest, and in any media whatsoever, including the Station and on www.KHON2.com, for any purpose whatsoever, worldwide, in perpetuity, without any further authorization or compensation to the entrant.
8. Limitation on Liability. Sponsor(s) disclaim(s) all liabilities to the winner(s) with respect to receipt and use of the prize(s). Winners and their guests or travel companions, by acceptance of their prize(s), agree to release and hold the Sponsor(s) and its/their affiliated companies, their advertising, promotion and production agencies, and their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, shareholders, directors, employees, agents and representatives harmless from any and all liability, claims, causes of actions, damages, fines, and costs of any kind whatsoever (including reasonable attorney’s fees) which may be sustained directly or indirectly to persons or property in connection with the receipt, ownership or use of the prize or while preparing for, participating in, and/or traveling to any Contest- or prize-related activity.
9. Reservation of Rights. Sponsor(s) reserve(s) the right to make changes to these Official Rules in their sole discretion which will become effective upon announcement. Sponsor(s) reserve(s) the right to cancel or terminate this Contest for any reason in the event that it cannot be run or administered as intended by the Sponsor(s). Any such changes or termination will be announced on www.KHON2.com. Any attempt by an entrant or any other individual to deliberately damage or undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, Sponsor(s) reserve the right to prosecute or seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law.
10. Contact Information. For questions or more information about this Contest, please contact KHON at 88 Piikoi Street, Honolulu, HI 96814. For a copy of these rules, addendum, and/or list of winners please send a self addressed stamped envelope to KHON within sixty (60) days of the end of this Contest.